Sunday, November 05, 2006

Decisions

Soren Kierkegaard once said:
"Most men pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it."

I fear that I don't know whether I am hurrying past it, or not pursuing it at all.

I've been job interviewing for the past month and have a very tempting offer in Norfolk, VA. There are lots of reasons that this offer is tempting. The first is the money, the second is the environment, the third is the security clearance. But I know that I won't ever get rich at that company. I know that I'll be very well off. But I'll still be working for the next 40 years saving up for my retirement.

On the other hand I could stay with my current company. This company has recently fell on bad times and they really can't afford to pay me much more than they are now. Even what they are paying me now is so demeaning for my work it's nothing (and the boss has told me this). But I believe in the product that I work on. I believe that it will make it and some pretty big deals will come through with it. I believe that if I can hang in there, there is a big chance something big will happen. But there is also a chance nothing will.

So what do I do? Do I take the large salary now? I could probably pay off my student loans in a matter of a couple years and after that invest my extra money in whatever I want (real estate, stocks, retirement, etc...)

Do I stay where I'm at now? And hope?

And of course all through this is a girl. An amazing girl.

If dreams worked for Joseph, will God give them to me? I hope He will.

1 Comments:

At 11:45 PM , Blogger juxtaposer said...

I love that you quoted Kierkegaard.

If you ever need advice, or a friend to talk to, you know how to reach me. It's been a while since we've spoken.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home